Thursday, April 23, 2015

Kleenex Box

Today, in Dr. Preston’s class, I noticed a Kleenex box that had a special message on the side of it. It said something like "do something nice for someone today!" Or something like that. It has been in my head all day for some reason and I knew it would eventually mean something by the end of the day.  The message was in a very odd place which is why I believe it was stuck in my head all day.  So to the point, it meant something for me today, not for anyone else.  This isn't about me doing something nice for someone but rather some people doing something nice to me.  

After my baseball game today, I was upset about a decision my coach made in the game that affected me.  I thought of all of that I've been through with the coaches and how many of their decisions do not help the players get better, but instead chip away at players confidence and self esteem. Today, I see this a lot with coaching, especially when I umpire little league games which ties back with my masterpiece. 

Back to my point, the coaches I have dealt with, whether it's umpiring or playing, have not worked to instill confidence in their players (including me), but instead work to make decisions to promote their own agendas.  I have seen a lot of it and it kills me and other players in pursuing their career in the sport they love.  Therefore, I wanted to take the time thank a couple of coaches from the past who themselves through words and actions, took the time to make sure I knew they had full confidence in me as a player, a competitor and most importantly as a person.  They were the ones who kept me involved with the sport I love and I can't thank them enough.  Not only did they have confidence in me with the sport, but also in life.  These are the kinds of coaches we need in high school and below.  They will encourage and give kids the confidence they need to thrive in the sport as well as life.  So with that, it is obvious that they too read the Kleenex Box

No comments:

Post a Comment